Thursday, April 4, 2019

The Army of Titan - Grey Knights Initial Thoughts

Recently I have taken a peek at Grey Knights as requested my the majority as I will be running these not so bad boys at Briscon. As most of you know GK have it pretty tough at the moment compared to all their marine brothers, however I'm here to prove it may not be all doom and gloom as you might suspect. I think currently the Grey Knights are just carrying a bit of a bad reputation based on looking at some of its capabilities on paper though on the table top these guys actually play fairly well, they most definitely have their strengths and some pretty sweet tools available to them that I think are seriously underrated.

The reason why I think their "tricks" might be underrated is because sure, in comparison to some of the stronger codex's they are clearly not quite as potent, but this doesn't mean what they can do doesn't even have a place in the meta game. An army that has manoeuvrable anti horde and decent to high quality melee threat that can simply use gate on a unit you have made the effort to wrap certainly doesn't seem like anything to laugh at.

With Briscon getting closer and closer I'm starting to get even more excited to be busting the GK out for this one and really test their metal and have a few tournament games with something drastically different to the Tyranids. For fellow GK players some of the units I'm currently focused on or believe have some serious merit are;
- Draigo ( at 180 points it really is just a steal)
- Brother Captains ( 24 inch range smite event at one mortal wound stacked across a range of different units can certainly mean the difference between a win and a loss against another elite army)

- Interceptors ( These guys seem pretty hard to look past, I'm more then happy to spend the extra few points over a strike knight to gain the movement these guys have. )

- Apothecary ( for under 100 points for essentially a captain in terminator army is actually quite amazing, they make for great back field scorers or can just be genuinley annoying to handle when they get stuck in especially with GK being able to really abuse that fight when you die for 1CP!)

- Paladins ( these guys are by far my favourite unit in this book right now and I think they are drastically underrated especially with the addition of bolter rule, They make for a great target for Astral Aim - an incredible psychic power, and an amazing counter assault/hammer unit. With the mix of a couple of warding staves and sanctuary it becomes pretty off putting to start throwing the units that are naturally set up to fight pallies into combat with them.

My suggestions for Grey Knight players,
Don't be scared to spend majority of your game hiding, there is no reason to have to try and face tank an army like tau or eldar when you don't need to, throw those pallies out of line of sight with the characters and deepstrike the rest, GK can do their damage relatively quickly unless your fighting mech and if they only have 2 turns of shooting to retaliate to an army with 2+ armour (using cover) it can be very daunting for them. But the most important thing is do not get lead into the trap of standing still to make full use of that bolter rule, use your movement!!

Finally so there is no excuse for using Grey Knights as a cop out and not performing, I'm going to set a couple of goals for Briscon. So 5 games over two days I will be aiming for 4 wins and 1 loss, that's what I believe to be realistic with what I plan on running, though ideally 4 wins and a draw would really wrap it up for me. Once I've settled on a list you'll be sure to see it here but for now I continue to explore.

1 comment:

Re Claiming The Throne

So I know this one is a little late, but just over a week ago we had the ANZ 40k Team Championships, where for the most part the top 8 playe...